Gomez to Mets? Not So Fast (Or At All)
Sandy Alderson, who is the General Manager of the New York Mets, told reporters following their game tonight that Carlos Gomez is not now and will not by Friday be a New York Metropolitan.
This is too convoluted to put together after midnight now, but here’s the short version of all the reports:
- The deal (Gomez to NYM, Zack Wheeler & Wilmer Flores to MIL) was agreed to, pending physicals.
- Gomez was informed while on the Brewers charter flight back to Milwaukee from San Francisco by manager Craig Counsell that a deal was in place, pending medicals, once the news was breaking on Twitter.
- Flores was informed at some point during Wednesday evening’s game but remained in the game, an uncommon practice for a player in an agreed upon trade.
- Word started coming out that the hold up was pending review of medical reports.
- After the game, Alderson met with the media at CitiField to tell them that there was no trade for Gomez. Media talked to Flores who said he was told that there was no trade after all.
- Assumptions were apparently made that it was Wheeler’s post-Tommy John surgery medicals that were the issue and that the Brewers backed out of the deal.
- Reports then started to come out (likely leaked by the Mets) that they bailed on the deal over concerns about Gomez’s hip.
- Those concerns were characterized as slight. Also, that they shouldn’t have nixed the deal.
- Scott Boras (Gomez’s agent) was quoted that Gomez has no hip issue, never has, and anyone claiming otherwise is being untruthful.
Got all that? Good. I’m going to sleep at some point.