Results tagged ‘ Harvey Kuenn ’
The Milwaukee Brewers will include 10 All-Fan Bobblehead Dates on the promotional schedule during the 2013 season. All bobblehead dates are scheduled on Sundays and the collectibles will include current and former players.
The first bobblehead, presented by Robert Haack Diamonds, will feature leadoff batter Norichika Aoki on the first Sunday of the season – April 7 against the Diamondbacks. Aoki led all National League rookies in stolen bases (30) and tied for the NL rookie lead in hits (150) and outfield assists (8) while ranking among the leaders in numerous statistical categories. (BN note: Aoki finished fifth in NL Rookie of the Year voting.)
The second bobblehead is scheduled for April 21 against the Cubs when former first baseman George Scott—presented by Toyota—isfeatured with his five Gold Glove awards as a Brewer from 1972-76.
On May 5 against the Cardinals, the Brewers will pay tribute to the Minor League Milwaukee Brewers, who played in the American Association from 1902-52. Corey Hart—presented by Kwik Trip—will be showcased in a 1913 Brewers uniform to honor the 100th Anniversary of the team’s first American Association championship. The American Association Brewers won eight pennants during their 51 seasons of existence.
A Ryan Braun bobblehead, which will honor his 40/30 season in 2012, is set for May 26 vs. the Pirates and is presented by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. Braun followed up his 2011 MVP season with 41 home runs and 30 stolen bases to become just the ninth member of Major League Baseball’s 40/30 Club. This will be the third Brewers bobblehead for Braun (also 2008 and 2009).
Carlos Gomez will get his first Brewers bobblehead, presented by Time Warner Cable, on June 9 against the Phillies. The collectible will include Gomez in a Cerveceros uniform (“Cerveceros” is the Spanish translation for Brewers and the team has worn Cerveceros uniforms during the Cerveceros Day celebration in each of the last seven seasons).
The Brewers will host Polish Heritage Day on June 23 against the Braves and all fans will receive a Klement’s Famous Racing Sausage Polish Bobble, presented by Klement’s Sausage. Polish Sausage will be featured wearing a “Piwowarzy” jersey, which is the Polish translation for Brewers.
The first player in MLB history with a 40/30 season was Hank Aaron as a member of the Milwaukee Braves in 1963. He finished that season with 44 home runs and 31 stolen bases. On July 7 against the Mets, a Hank Aaron bobblehead will commemorate his 40/30 season in a Milwaukee Braves uniform. It marks the third Aaron bobblehead to be given away at Miller Park (also 2002 and 2010).
Harvey Kuenn, who was named American League Manager of the Year in 1982 after leading the Brewers to the World Series, will be featured with a bobblehead on August 4 against the Nationals.
The month of September will include a pair of former outfielders – Gorman Thomas and Ben Oglivie.
Thomas was the first player selected by the Seattle Pilots in the first round of the 1969 June Draft and as such, his bobblehead will feature him in a Pilots uniform on September 1 against the Angels.
On September 15 against the Reds, Oglivie will round out the bobblehead schedule. This will mark the first full-size Brewers bobblehead of the three-time All-Star.
They are inviting fans to play along in a guessing game of sorts where the Bernie Brewer twitter account (@Bernie_Brewer) will post a silhouetted image of the subject of the bobblehead in the morning with some clues. You play along by tweeting back with your guess and a #GUESSBREW hash tag.
Then, later the same day via various official Brewers social media outlets, the subject will be revealed.
The official webpage for the revealing is: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/fan_forum/bobbles.jsp, but I’ll keep track of them all right here as well.
We can easily see that there will be one sausage bobble as has been the norm the last several years.
The schedule of reveals is as follows:
- Bobblehead #1: CLUE: This Brewer will turn 31 in January of 2013. – Guess: Norichika Aoki – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #2: CLUE: This Brewer played his entire career in the AL. – Guess: George Scott – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #3: CLUE: Wore a Brewers uniform his entire career. CLUE: Has played in 14 career postseason games. – Guess: Corey Hart – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #4: CLUE: Wears a number that has been worn by a total of 20 players in team history. Silhouette Only Guess: Ryan Braun (Updated: Still guessing Braun. http://brewernation.mlblogs.com/2012/06/09/milwaukee-brewers-uniform-number-history-8) – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #5: Silhouette Only Guess: Carlos Gomez – CLUE: The player is active on Twitter. – Guess unchanged. – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #6: Silhouette Only Guess: Polish Racing Sausage – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #7: CLUE: Today’s featured player began and ended his career in Milwaukee. CLUE: Played his first and last all-star game with Milwaukee. – Guess: Hank Aaron – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #8: CLUE: Features a Wisconsin native. Guess: Only three Wisconsinites are famous enough to warrant a bobblehead at this point. One (Bob Uecker) had one last year. That means that this should be either Jim Gantner or Harvey Kuenn. CLUE: This player never played for the Brewers. Updated Guess: Obviously Gantner played for the Brewers. My guess is Harvey Kuenn! – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #9: CLUE: This player goes back to the Seattle Pilots days. Guess: Gotta be Stormin’ Gorman Thomas! Who else from that era still warrants a bobblehead? CLUE: This player still has a presence at Miller Park. (Yup!) – CONFIRMED!
- Bobblehead #10: November 9 – CLUE: Was on the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers. Guess: Far too many to properly say anything definitive, but based on the silhouette I know several players who it is not. CLUE: This player once played professionally in Japan. Guess: Ben Oglivie
So there you have it!
All 10 of the bobblehead subjects for 2013 have been revealed! What do you think of the choices? Which one are you looking forward to the most? Vote here: http://wp.me/p1wIvV-98Ls
Wondering who wore a certain uniform number all-time for the Milwaukee Brewers?
The Brewer Nation has got you covered. If you found this list on its own, head back here for the full repository after checking out this one.
Gene Brabender (’70)
Bill Voss (’71-’72)
Harvey Kuenn (’82-’83)
Chuck Crim (’87-’91)
John Jaha (’92-’98)
Rocky Caplinger (’99, ’01)
Nick Neugebauer (’01-’02)
Geremi Gonzalez (’06)
Carlos Corporan (’09)
LaTroy Hawkins (’10-’11)
Tom Gorzelanny (’13-Current)